Sunday, May 12, 2013

Visit from Scott's Parents


Last week (April 30-May 4) we had family in Charleston! Thanks for Coming Mom and Dad Richens! We had a great time sight seeing and playing with them here. We got to do some new things and some we have done before. Quincy got a little thrown off her element getting her sleep routine messed up and  having people in her house all the time. Unfortunately that made her into a mama's girl and always wanted to be in my arms, which meant I didn't get as much done and Mom Richens didn't get the desired bonding time with her grandbaby. I felt so bad. Quincy liked papa sometimes and Scott sometimes (if i wasn't in the room and she didn't realize it) but mostly she felt safe (not wiggling & screaming) only when she was with me. Next time I'll give her a little more time to warm up to Nana and Papa before I leave her to go to the grocery store. 

Q enjoyed learning different animals and their noises with Papa



 This is Charlie at NWS, Naval Weapons Station. A large alligator kept finding this pond after a few relocation of Charlie they put a fence around the pond, called him Charlie, and made him the officer in charge of complaints... I would recommend not complaining. If you look close you can see his wife under the sign through the fence.  Big Charlie is below. he lives there with some babies and wife. I guess the firemen on base feed the family. The day after our stop to see Charlie we saw a bigger baby, med-small alligator at the pond right outside Scott's work-no fence.

I think alligators are a dinosaur, sorry science they aren't all extinct. I imagine them as slow reptiles but  apparently they can out run a human for short distances. Don't make them mad!

Me and Mom Richens in the butterfly garden at Cypress Gardens

All the other pictures are on Ken's camera but this is what we did:
-Drive around downtown, visited Battery Park, and the NWS base
-Cypress Gardens where we spotted 4 gators on our boat/raft ride
-Boone Hall Plantation: crop gardens and old house along with some info on slavery in the old slavery houses. It was enjoyable. 
-Patriots Point, toured an old submarine and the Yorktown, an aircraft carrier.
I experience a little nausea thinking about me or Scott being in the sub under thousands of feet of water. So small. It was way cool to walk through though. 
    Check out this recipe for the carrier. I can't imagine that many chocolate chips!


-Sadly we weren't able to make it to Fort Sumter the #2 required activity after playing with Quincy. It was too windy so the boats weren't going out, them we didn't get our second day attempt due to mom and dad flying stand by. Next time!

It was great to have family here. Thanks for everything! We love you. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! More updates and I got notified on my rss feed this time! Sounds like a fun visit! Also fun pictures in the other post too! You rock! miss ya! Love you! Happy Mother's day, you cute mom!

    ReplyDelete