Friday, July 29, 2011

Nauvoo, Illinois


We loved our time in Nauvoo! Not only was it a nice break from driving in the car on our way to Ohio, but it is a place with great history and a wonderful spirit.  We spent a half day, a day, and another half day in Nauvoo and Carthage. By far my favorite part was the temple it is gorgeous inside and out! When I was younger I begged my parents to take me to Nauvoo but we never got to go so I figured driving across the country was a perfect time to go. I was able to enjoy it more than if I had gone when I was younger, since I am a little older and could go inside the temple.

Where they talk about the Nauvoo red bricks


Room above the Red Brick Store, where the Relief Society was organized

If you go to Nauvoo I would recommend including the tour by the Community of Christ. They own some neat building and have some neat facts and stories. It's not like the spirit in LDS owned sites but it was worth the time and money. One fact we didn't know was that Joseph and Hyrum's bodies were buried somewhere only Emma knew the markers were not where their bodies were but here is the true burial site now:

Our last stop before continuing on to Ohio was Carthage Jail
The picutre is blury but still like it. Another place with lots of history.

I am so grateful for Joseph Smith, his family, and all the early Latter-day Saint pioneers for the sacrifices they made to help restore the true chuch of God and begin to build up the kingdom here on earth.

We have lots of picutes that I wanted to share but this wasn't working so well for me on the blog so I figured the easiest way was facebook. There is an album with all our pictures from this protion of the trip there if you want to look at them.  


1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing blogger. Look at all your posts. It is pretty easy to add links so I would recommend adding the public sharing link for the Facebook pictures on here.

    ReplyDelete