I am not a super daring person, growing up I enjoyed doing half flips on the trampoline but I wasn't going to try a full flip and no way I wanted to do a back flip like others in my family. Other things make me nervous too like trying to do a project but ruining it therefore wasting my time and the money put into it. So when I saw this old table but the dumpster I thought, "what do I have to lose?" I went back home and got Scott to help me bring it home. Thankfully a nice guy in a truck lent the assistance of his truck. The table top was falling apart with some slats hardly attached which made it hard to carry.
The before:
You can see it is pretty scratched up and if you look close you can see the back slat is raised many other areas were also but the drawer is covering if up.
Months and months of indecision left it sitting in my bedroom covered by a blanket then in the living room with a table cloth, but I finally bought a power sander, glue, and paint so I could fix it up and take off the table cloth and use the drawer. I had to get creative and try to use a paper to glue down in the crevices
And the finished product ta-da!
I put lots of work into it but I am pleased with how it turned out. You can see my painted pillow, fixed table and red vases, however the best thing I made in this picture and I love the most is that adorable little girl waving to all ya'll through the picture.
Here is what I learned:
- Sanding is important, but maybe you don't have to sand the WHOLE table. (It took WAY to long!) If I were to redo I would just do the table top and details where needed.
- Putty it, if there are gaps. I didn't do this and wish I would have on the top. It isn't quiet flush,.
- Prime. next time I will do a prime only coat even if the spray paint I pick is a paint+prime, then maybe I won't need as much.
- Don't forget a light sanding after priming. (Natalie gave me tips but I forgot them even with them written.)
- The old handles are cool. I bought modern pulls but ended up putting the old ones back on.
- Polyurethane, again I forgot and had to do it after I thought the project was complete.
I just need to reflect a little bit and this completes my leader Personal Progress, knowledge project.
No comments:
Post a Comment