We just finished our fourth week here in Columbus, Ohio. So far so good. Scott is enjoying his internship with Battelle, but not enough to steer away from the Navy. He’s still working towards that for now. We live in a high class suburb called Upper Arlington. Upper Arlington, doesn’t that just sound nice? We’re in the basement of a member’s home here, the Barrett Family. They have been great.
Here is what I’ve learned since we’ve been in Columbus:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is wonderful. Okay so I already knew that is true in so many ways, but it really is incredible how the church can connect you to people no matter who you are, where you are coming from or where you are going. I am grateful to have a safe place to stay and many great people to help us get to know the area.
- Fireflies really are cool. My family told stories of catching fireflies when we lived in Indiana but I was too young to remember. Up until today I just saw the fireflies late at night when it was really dark and had no idea how they were catchable. Tonight I went for a walk at dusk and discover that was the best time to catch fireflies, because when the light goes off you can still see them.
- To appreciate not getting lost. The winding roads here are not what I’m used to. I considered it a miracle on my walk the other day when I found my way home and I didn’t have to retrace my steps to get there!
- Family is great, little kids are heart breaking. I love talking with my family and staying connected between Utah and Ohio. Somehow the things my nieces and nephews say and write make me miss home more than anything. I guess it’s their blunt innocence and knowing that they really do love us too.
- Scott and I are, “old school.” Really? Us? I didn’t think we were old enough to be considered old school yet, but according to 12 year old Lucien (whose home we live in) we are. I guess we’ll just have to embrace it.
Woah you started a blog! It's great to read your updates. I can't wait for more! You guys are radical ramblin' Richens. Love ya!
ReplyDeleteGreat update Jen. So glad you guys are happy. We sure miss you and fireflies. Oh and Scott too!
ReplyDeleteYou did it! I'm glad to see you posted. We will be excited to read about your updates. Speaking of which... today was a big day! How did it go? I miss the fireflies. Hope you and Scott take lots of opportunities to go on firefly catching dates! Love ya.
ReplyDelete